Improving employee morale benefits everyone involved in a workplace. Boosting employee morale means that people will take more pride in their work, call in sick less often and be more productive. Improving employee morale can be accomplished by implementing following tips.
• Most people thrive on feeling appreciated. You can improve employee morale by showing your appreciation in simple ways, such as rewarding an employee by saying, ‘job well done’ or ‘thank you for the good work’. It is a grave mistake to only interact with the workers when there is a problem.
• Another way to show appreciation and boost employee morale is by being friendly and interested in your employees. A warm smile and a sincere query about how one is doing will in turn motivate employees. Knowing people’s names and personalising the work environment inspires employees to want to help you.
• Encouraging social interaction between employees and immediately resolving conflict is another way to improve employee morale. Events such as office picnics create a sense of camaraderie between employees. Social interaction positively influences co-operation and general enthusiasm about coming to work everyday. Isolation, on the other hand, can cause depression and total lack of motivation.
• Another way to improve employee morale is by offering incentives. A job well done might be rewarded with a gift card or a cash bonus. This reward can come as a surprise to the employees who earned it, or it can be announced as a sort of game or contest.
Having a goal to work towards that directly benefits the employee can help create enthusiasm, which tends to be contagious.
• Similarly, work environment is also one of the factors for improving morale. Psychological research shows that atmosphere greatly and directly affects the motivation level and feeling of well-being of the employees in a workplace. When possible, providing comfortable and
aesthetically pleasing furniture is one way that researchers suggest to motivate people. Lighting, flowers and artwork can also help
improve employee morale. Obviously, this is not always possible, for instance in factories or repair shops. In these types of environments, offering a pleasant break room or relaxation area helps to improve morale. In any work environment, safe and comfortable conditions improve employee morale by giving workers a reasonable sense of security.