Most women excuse themselves from wearing bold, experimental lip colours, thinking they are too dark-skinned for it. This couldn’t be farther from the truth. Wheatish skin tone is one of the most beautiful and versatile ones and can carry off almost any shade, unlike fair skin, on which vibrant hues look too jhatak. Still not sure of carrying off a lip that screams boldness? Make-up artiste Ojas Rajani helps you bust the myth along with actress Neha Chauhan of Love Sex Aur Dhokha fame.
Red lips are beautiful and stylish. The perfect example would be Rekha. She carries it off with elan in both western outfits — like her appearance in an androgynous suit — as well as in an Indian attire — like her kanjeevarams. Sonam Kapoor and Deepika Padukone also wear red lips well while Vidya Balan should be your guide on how-not-to wear red lips. You can sport red lips with just about any outfit. However, keep accessories and colours to bare minimum. Too much of everything will make you look like a hooker.
• If you want a young, flirty look, pair red lips with winged-tip eyeliner, false lashes and moonlight dull eye shadow.
• You could also go for a soft smokey eye in brown and earthy colours like rust, brick or copper.
• A hint of jewel green eyeliner or eye shadow also looks fabulous. But the colour shouldn’t be overpowering.
• Blacks and blues are an absolute no-no.
Key to red lips: You are going for a strong, powerful look, not a crazy one.
Orange is a peppy colour, best worn with whites, beiges and nudes. You can wear it with small prints too. A coral mouth looks fresh and gives you persona. If you are a beginner, play it safe with minimalistic makeup.
• Don’t overdo the face.
• Underplay the blush.
• Keep the eyes subtle. Use a burnt orange shadow on the lower rim and in the creases and blend it in.
Key to orange lips: You want a look that is soft and fresh and not harsh and older.
Deep berry lips look magical with a short black dress, slinky numbers and even outfits in brinjal colours. How you carry it off depends on your personality.
• It makes sense to go easy initially. Try soft eyes.
• Go goth with a strong smokey eye in brown-black and thick eyeliner on the upper and lower lids.
• Keep your bone structure and features in mind.
• Try a bombshell blowout. Or pair it with a loose, low, side bun or go for finger waves.
Key to berry lips: Be careful with the rest of the makeup. Overdoing can make you look vampish or like a scarecrow.
• Never skip lip liner. Outline lips with nude lip liner and fill in with the nude for a uniform colour. Why nude? It’s safer and is easier to correct, since dark lip colours tend to stain lips and leave a tint behind.
• It is better to use mattes over glossy when it comes to dark lipsticks since glossies tend to smear.
• Keep tissues at hand. Lipstick on lips is nice. Lipstick on teeth is crude.