HIMALAYAN NEWS SERVICE
NEW DELHI: Five members of a Nepali family living in Gujarat’s Rajkot set themselves on fire on Wednesday‚ with three of them succumbing to burn injuries.
The Biswokarma family‚ living in Rajkot for the last 35 years‚had taken the extreme measure of collective self-immolation after they were told by the authorities to vacate their house for demolition‚ as it was illegal.
According to local police‚ Bharat Man Singh‚ 40‚ his wife Asha‚ 35‚ brother Girish Man Singh‚ 25‚ and others of the family‚ Basmati and Rekha‚ turned up at the civic body office with kerosene-filled containers around noon yesterday. They poured kerosene on their bodies and set themselves on fire protesting the proposed demolition of their house in Raiyadhar.