HIMALAYAN NEWS SERVICE
KATHMANDU: A massive fire engulfed the assembly centre of Choudhary Group (CG) Electronics in Satungal today reducing property worth millions to ashes.
According to police, the fire allegedly caused by electric short-circuit spread from a block of the complex to two other blocks at around 5:45 pm. More than 250 fire fighters from Nepali Army, Nepal Police and Armed Police Force backed by seven fire engines and private water tankers fought the inferno.
The fire spread quickly as a section of electronic appliances melted away.
Known as STARLEC (Steel and Electronics Complex), the facility assembles LG TVs and CG TVs.
Citing officials at CG Electronics, police said electronic goods and physical infrastructure worth around one billion rupees was gutted. Specific details as to the cause and subsequent damage has not been assessed, police said.
Employees escaped after they smelt something peculiar and saw smoke billowing. Police said no one was hurt and informed they were also looking into the possibility of the involvement of criminal elements in the incident.
Firefighters had a hard time fighting the fire due to its intensity, SSP Jaya Bahadur Chand said adding that some electronic goods were salvaged.