HIMALAYAN NEWS SERVICE
KATHMANDU: The government today said its attention had been drawn to media reports about the recent decision to transfer 24 senior police officials.
The Ministry of Home Affairs defended its move and tried to come clean on its decision to reshuffle the responsibilities of police officials saying that the move was meant to secure effective security arrangements for the upcoming CA polls scheduled for November 22.
The Cabinet on Monday had decided to transfer five AIGs and 19 DIGs of Nepal Police, which the Election Commission said was a gross violation of the election code of conduct. The government is not authorised to effect the transfer of security officials and civil service employees once the election code of conduct becomes effective.
“As it is necessary to make effective security strategy to ensure free and fair election within the specified date, the government felt the need to reshuffle the responsibility of senior police officials to implement revised security arrangements,” a press statement issued by the ministry said. “It is also a regular process to transfer the police officials every 10 to 12 months,” the ministry added.
The statement signed by ministry spokesperson Shankar Prasad Koirala said the ministry had also notified the election body in writing on June 14, seeking its consent for the transfer of police officials. “The ministry was in regular touch with the EC even after the formal request. The EC had informed that it would give consent to the decision of transfer when the ministry communicated with the election body on Monday and we forwarded the process to the Cabinet,” the statement read.
However, the EC has reiterated that it was a unilateral move on the part of the government. The ministry also expressed commitment to abide by the election code of conduct and expected cooperation from the EC.