HIMALAYAN NEWS SERVICE
KATHMANDU: The government today directed cable operators not to obstruct broadcast of television channels.
Issuing a press statement, the Ministry of Information and Communications warned of action if cable operators did not resume broadcast of television channels immediately.
A section of cable operators had stopped broadcasting Image Television, Channel Nepal and NTV Plus on Sunday evening and Tuesday without furnishing any reason. “Our serious attention has been drawn towards the obstruction of television broadcast by cable operators in contravention of National Broadcasting Regulation. The government will take stern action if broadcast of TV channels does resume immediately,” the press statement issued by MoIC spokesperson Narayan Prasad Sanjel said.
The ministry also pledged to enforce the sixth amendment to National Broadcasting Regulation to digitise television broadcast. The amendment will ensure transparency regarding number of subscribers, service and revenue collection, read the statement.
Federation of Nepal Cable Television had allegedly obstructed television broadcast to protest the promulgation of the sixth amendment to National Broadcasting Regulation.
Earlier, Nepal Media Society, Television Broadcasters Nepal, Broadcasting Association of Nepal and Association of Community Radio Broadcasters had demanded action against cable operators obstructing television broadcast. Issuing a joint press release, the media fraternity said they were concerned by the ‘attack on free press and people’s right to know’.
“When Federation of Nepal Cable Television and Television Broadcasters Nepal had already reached agreement not to obstruct broadcast of any Nepali television channel, we are saddened by the recent move,” the press release stated.