BIRGUNJ: It has been revealed that many agriculture products are imported through Birgunj border point without any test.
The Regional Plant Quarantine Office, Birgunj, said harmful and substandard agriculture goods are being brought into Nepal due to uncooperative attitude of Birgunj Customs Office.
Quarantine checking process of only 45 percent of agriculture goods brought into Nepal via Birgunj border is carried out to ascertain quality of the imported products, but the remaining 55 percent products enter Nepal illegally.
The legal provision has it that all imported products should be thoroughly checked to ensure quality and prevent the entry of any disease. However, the Customs Office is not cooperating as required, said quarantine officer Jitendra Yadav. “Time after time we requested the Birgunj Customs Office seeking its support, but the office remained silent.”
The International Crop Protection and National Plant Quarantine Programme also makes quality testing of imported agriculture goods compulsory. Nepal’s law clearly says that nearly 120 agriculture products such as pulse, spice, fruit, potato, onion, vegetable, handicraft imported from India and third countries should be imported after thoroughly conducting quality test.
Mainly rice, soybean, semolina, other flours and some other products are being imported without completing quarantine process, said technical assistant of the regional quarantine office, Bidur Jha.
However, Harihar Poudel of Birgunj Customs Office said his office hasn’t shown any non-cooperative attitude.