Rep. Joe Garcia, D-Fla, states his support for immigrants and pledges to work in favor of immigration reform to reporters as immigration reform activists protest in front of Freedom Tower in downtown Miami, Monday, Jan. 28, 2013. The Florida Immigrant Coalition, together with other immigrant families and community organizations, have initiated the
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. BOY SCOUTS POISED FOR A BIG CHANGE
Under a new policy, sponsors of individual Scout units would be able to decide for themselves whether to accept gays as scouts and leaders.
2. A SHOW OF BIPARTISANSHIP ON IMMIGRATION
Leading senators of both parties outline legislation aimed at giving some 11 million illegal immigrants a path to U.S. citizenship.
3. WHY SO MANY DIED IN BRAZIL BLAZE
The nightclub had no fire alarm, no sprinklers, no fire escape — and just one exit.
4. THE SLINGS AND ARROWS AIMED AT CHUCK HAGEL
An AP fact-check finds that many of the claims by opponents of Obama's choice to head the Defense Department are overblown.
5. WHO IS WORRIED ABOUT EGYPT'S MASKED MEN
A mysterious group called the Black Bloc says it is defending protesters, but some fear it could prompt an Islamist backlash.
6. US PROTESTS AS IRAN PUTS A MONKEY INTO SPACE
Any space launch "is directly relevant to the development of long-range ballistic missiles," the State Department says.
7. HOW AN UNUSUAL DOUBLE-ARM TRANSPLANT IS WORKING OUT
"Ohh yeah today has been one month since my surgery and (my arms) already move a little," tweets recipient Brendan Marrocco, a wounded Iraq vet.
8. ONE CALAMITY AFTER ANOTHER — AND NOW A DRY SPELL
Caddo County, Okla., which is enduring a crippling drought, has been declared a federal disaster area nine times since 2007.
9. 'HE NEVER SEEMED TO BE A HELP TO HER'
In "Remembering Whitney," Cissy Houston writes that she had doubts about Bobby Brown from the start.
10. AT QB, A COUPLE OF SUPER BOWL NOBODIES
But one will leave New Orleans as football's newest star.